Wow, what a busy past few weeks it has been! Things are really heating up and the year 2020 will surely prove to be one of the most dramatic and volatile years in recent history – in health, in the economy and in politics.
We have experienced a whirlwind of events, but rest assured the National Party is united and focused. We have the vision and the team to get our economy back on track. We’ve done it before and we can do it again.
As the local Member of Parliament for Maungakiekie, I’m especially proud at what we’ve achieved as a community this term. Being a part of this electorate is not just my job, it's my home. I’ve worked hard to capture this in my day-to-day actions and have enjoyed jotting down a few highlights along the way! Click here to see some of the projects I’ve pushed across the line, while working with you and working for you!
A few of my favourites include:
- Assisting with over 1,500 local queries, including helping families with housing, locals with Auckland Council frustrations, businesses with their wage subsidy, and more.
- Launched the Mt Wellington Community Patrols and the Mt Wellington Residents Association
- Created and managed a 120 volunteer network to help 2,600+ local seniors during Covid lock-down.
- Championed the Employment (Pay Equity and Equal Pay) Amendment Bill which was selected for debate in Parliament, and led the National Party response to the Government's pay equity bill.
- Pushed for an increase in surveillance at One Tree Hill’s summit car-park from the Tūpuna Maunga Authority
- Successfully called on Housing New Zealand (now Kāinga Ora) to translate the Oranga Development information books in Samoan, Tongan, Maori, Mandarin and Hindi.
- Fixed "Crash Corner", the notorious Church and Victoria Street intersection in Onehunga.
ONCE IN A LIFETIME EXPERIENCE
Hands up if you knew it was possible to climb the obelisk that sits atop One Tree Hill?
I for one had no idea this was a thing, until I was recently offered the opportunity to see our Maungakiekie electorate from a new perspective! While Auckland has a few obelisks, One Tree Hill obelisk is by far the largest and most prominent. It has stood tall since its official opening in 1948. Thank you Cornwall Park for the extraordinary experience and memory I’ll never forget.
Watch below and see this awesome opportunity unravel.
Earlier this month, I took up the opportunity to volunteer my time at Everybody Eats, Onehunga. Based in Maungakiekie, Everybody Eats is a pay-as-you-feel dining experience with good food kindly donated from organisations that would otherwise go to waste. They serve delicious, chef-prepared meals that feed bellies, not bins!
After serving 3-course meals to hungry locals on the floor with colleague and MP for Waikato Tim van de Molen, I have a new found respect for all our hospitality workers! You guys truly know how to work under pressure!
Everybody eats is always on the look-out for some extra help, so if you would like to offer your time, gain some volunteer experience or try something new (no experience necessary), visit: www.everybodyeats.nz
OUT AND ABOUT
TRANSPORT IN ONEHUNGA
Congestion costs Aucklanders over $1 billion per year. That’s the strict economic loss, but we all know it’s far worse than that. Congestion means unreliable journey times. It means frustration at sitting idle on our suburban streets. It means unsafe, near-misses at dangerous intersections. It means Mum being late to pick up the kids from sports, or a local tradie only doing two, rather than four, cross-town trips per day.
While congestion is an inevitable part of living in our growing electorate, it doesn’t mean we should just accept it. That’s why in my term, I’ve pressured Council and urged the Government to show muscle on important local transport projects, to fix dangerous intersections like Crash Corner - the notorious Church and Victoria Streets intersection- and more!
But my work will not stop there. National recently announced an Auckland transport infrastructure package that includes a record level of investment in projects for our community, which will ease how we move around. The package includes Bus Rapid Transport from Onehunga to the CBD, Onehunga to Airport Rail Link, an East West Link plan that takes thousands of heavy trucks off our suburban roads, among others. To top it all off, National will repeal the Auckland Regional Fuel Tax - delivering savings into Maungakiekie families’ back pockets.
As your local MP, I believe congestion is a local issue we need to confront and front foot. I will continue to work for you and get things done in a way that works for our community. If you would like to know more about any of these projects, view our Auckland Transport Plan here.
National believes that we need to unleash a wave of entrepreneurialism in New Zealand. We need thousands of new businesses to kick-start our economy and create tens of thousands of new jobs. That is why we have recently announced our new Business Start plan. For those who lose their jobs after 1 March 2020, National will support them if they want to get into their own business and give them the confidence to take on the challenge.
Business Start recipients can access:
- Up to $20k from their KiwiSaver account to help start their business
- At least $10k in tax credits
- A waiver from the Company Office registration fee
- Free mentoring from advisers like chambers of commerce and manufacturers associations
To find out more, click here and read our Business Start Factsheet
SIGNS, SIGNS AND MORE SIGNS
Yes, it’s that time again and no doubt you would’ve seen a lot more colour popping up around our electorate. Election season has begun and my team and I have enjoyed whacking a few stakes, drilling some planks, scaling new heights, and painting Maungakiekie blue!
We’re always on the hunt for new sites, so if you would like one of my signs on your fence, big or small, please do flick me a message at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I would like to extend a special thank you to all my volunteers. Sometimes politics is tough and not at all glamorous, but I'm proud to say I have the best team of backers anyone could wish for.
We have a few exciting upcoming events in the electorate that are worth taking note of:
- Meet Denise Lee MP Cafe sessions (no appointment necessary!)
Onehunga Clean-Up: Sunday 2nd August, 2pm
Livestream Q&A with Denise Lee MP, every other Thursday, 7pm on my Facebook page. Next one Thursday 6th August.
- Volunteer activities: We also have multiple opportunities for you to volunteer and lend a hand on the campaign trail! If you’d like to get involved, whether it’s for flyer deliveries, door-knocking, phone-calling, or something else, send me an email at email@example.com and I’ll add your name to our volunteer’s database!