I’m really proud of everything I’ve achieved as Maungakiekie’s local MP this term. Some of the highlights are:
• 2,600+ phone-calls to elderly over lockdown
• 1,500+ community queries answered
• 'Crash Corner’ intersection in Onehunga fixed
• Mt Wellington Residents’ Association, Masterplan and Community Patrols launched.
I've loved every minute of it! Being a part of this electorate is not just my job, it's my home. We have a fantastic community who is engaged, diverse and keen for action. I want to capture this in my work – see for yourself more of the things I’ve pushed across the line.
- Assisted with more than 1,500 constituent issues
- Created and launched the Mt Wellington Residents’ Association
- Designed and led a Mt Wellington Masterplan that gives our community a village feel. I've brought together the Local Board, Council, and urban design contractors to get the work started.
- Organised a protection vigil around Onehunga mosque during their Friday prayers right after the Christchurch shooting
- Championed, on behalf of street residents, a co-signed elected member letter re: 56 Symonds St development/consenting issues
- Held several online public meetings (Q&A) via Facebook livestream
- Push the Minister of Health to increase security at the quarantine facilities in our community
- Successfully called on Housing New Zealand (now Kāinga Ora) to translate the Oranga Development information books in Samoan, Tongan, Maori, Mandarin and Hindi.
- Lobbied the Minister of Education on behalf of local schools to get more certainty on funding and building renovations
- Highlighted the fire risk on One Tree Hill and called on the Muanga Authority to prioritise public safety during Auckland's driest spell
- Proud sponsor of the Onehunga Festival
- I manage the Candy Floss station at the Ellerslie Fairy Festival to help raise money for Ellerslie School
- Fixed "Crash Corner", the notorious Church and Victoria Street intersection in Onehunga. This was one of Auckland's top 10 most dangerous intersections
- Successfully called on Auckland Transport to install P120 parking limits on Hamlin Road, Mt Wellington, to help parents at Sylvia Park Kindergarten.
- Pushed NZTA to engage with the community concerns about the Old Mangere Bridge replacement project
- Improved stop sign visibility at Princes Street/Galway St in Onehunga
- Increased signage for pedestrian crossing outside One Tree Hill College, and demanded a raised pedestrian crossing
- Presented a petition to Auckland Transport calling for the reinstatement of the 312X bus that linked Onehunga, Greenlane and One Tree Hill to Auckland CBD
- Championed numerous local projects with Auckland Transport that increased safety on our local roads for commuters and pedestrians
- Created and managed a 120 volunteer network to help local seniors during Covid lock-down. We phoned over 2,500 seniors and helped deliver food parcels/pharmaceuticals to those in need.
- Organised volunteers to assisted Summerset Retirement Village with grocery assistance during lock-down.
- Created the "Art of Appreciation" competition for local children to send thank you art to front-liners and essential workers
- Advocated on behalf of Ellerslie Gardens and called for urgent action to protect the residents during an outbreak
- Helped businesses with their wage subsidy and provided greater certainty during lock-down
Crime and Safety
- Created and launched Mt Wellington Community Patrols. Secured $1,500 in funding for the new group
- Successfully called for the installment of surveillance cameras for rubbish dumping on Dunkirk Road in Panmure
- Held multiple public meetings on crime and safety across the electorate with Police and local crime prevention groups
- Ran nine "Coffee with a Cop" sessions across the electorate
- Pushed for an increase in surveillance at One Tree Hill’s summit car-park
Policy and Legislation
- Spokesperson for the Local Government (Auckland) portfolio and led the work around Auckland Council accountability that was included in our Transport and Infrastructure Discussion Document
- Created a Rate Your Council feedback campaign to capture experience of Auckland Council
- Sat on the Education Select Committee
- Sat on the Governance and Administration Select Committee
- Visited Canada to learn about the impact of the legalisation of Cannabis
- Hosted delegates from the Tongan Parliament to learn about NZ's Parliament
- Hosted residents and community stakeholders with Hon Nikki Kaye and shared on the future of education
- Championed the Employment (Pay Equity and Equal Pay) Amendment Bill which was selected for debate in Parliament, and led the National Party response to the Government's pay equity bill.
- Mentored a youth MP, Jessica McKnight, from One Tree Hill College
- Facilitated a meeting with MP Nicola Willis and local ECE managers about the future of early childhood education
- Repeated flagged issues about the Sustainable Tenancies Policy with the Chief Executive of Kainga Ora on behalf of fed-up neighbours
- Raised concern with the Ministry of Education about changes to zoning for local schools, and failure to acknowledge pending roll growth due to local social housing developments
- Proudly showed off Maungakiekie to 11 other National Party MPs and the Leader of the Party
Out and About
- Visited 19 local schools
- Held 11 community clean-ups across the electorate in Mt Wellington, Onehunga, Ellerslie, Panmure and Point England.
- Hosted 400+ senior citizens for morning tea with several MP guest speakers
- Hosted annual ‘thank you’ morning teas for Justices of the Peace and volunteers in the Maungakiekie electorate
- Held 40+ community “Meet Denise Lee MP” café sessions, no appointment necessary
- Ran multiple colouring competitions for local schools celebrating World Book Day, World Teachers' Day and Christmas
- Fundraised for Blue September, Breast Cancer, Cancer Society, Hearing House, and other local charities